Taxonomy makes groups of posts. Taxonomy enables you to a group of the post of similar characteristics.
In WordPress, Mainly two types of taxonomies are used. Both are inbuilt taxonomies.
Categories are Hierarchical Taxonomy, Whenever Tags are Non-Hierarchical Taxonomy.
Many People know that WordPress is a blogging platform, But WordPress provides all facilities that one CMS framework provides. WordPress gives the facility to make custom taxonomy that enhances WordPress as a CMS framework. To make custom taxonomy WordPress has register_taxonomy() function.
<?php register_taxonomy( $taxonomy, $object_type, $args ); ?>
You can refer to this function to the https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/register_taxonomy/. Use
init action hook to call this function.
$taxonomy (string) (Required):
The name of taxonomy. Taxonomy should contain only alphanumeric characters and underscore. .All letters should be in lower case. Taxonomy name character length is less than 32 characters.
The name of the post type for this taxonomy. $object_type can be a built-in post or custom post type. WordPress default post types are post, page, revision, or nav_menu_item. If we want to associate this custom taxonomy $object_type parameter has a custom post type name.
An array of taxonomy setting array.
label (string)(optional) – The Plural name of this taxonomy.
labels (array)(optional) – An array of labels. For array labels, We consider hierarchical taxonomy as categories and non-hierarchical taxonomy as tags. If labels array is not passed or empty labels array passed, name element of labels array is set to label args element and sigular_name element of labels array is set to taxonomy name.
- name – Plural name of the taxonomy
- singular_name – Singular name of the taxonomy.
- menu_name – The text displayed in the menu. If menu_name is not given, menu_name is to name value.
- all_items – All Items Text.
- edit_item – Edit Item Text
- view_item -View Item Text
- edit_item – Edit Item text
- view_item – View Item Label
- update_item – Update Item Text
- add_new_item – Add new Item Text
- new_item_name – New Item Name Label Name
- parent_item – Parent Item Label. parent_item is only for hierarchical taxonomy. Default is Parent Category
- parent_item_colon -same as parent item but with colon, default is same as parent_item.
- search_item -search Item Text
- popular items – Popular Items Text
There are other argument elements. You can refer them to the https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/register_taxonomy/#arguments.